Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to begin?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dluxrvrb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Where to begin? Reply with quote

Now that I have my Clarence Copy-catster completed (well enough to play anyway, there are still a few things I want to do to it, but anyhow...) I need to know where is a good place to start learning his style. Whats the first Clarence song you all learned when you got your b bender? I listened through a slew of 'em and WOW! I have been listening to Clarence since Marty Stuart turned me on to him a few years back and thought "I could play that if I had a bender." My mistake! Although it is my first night with the guitar, I don't think I'll be mastering it any time soon. I really like his sound on the Gosdin Brothers "Tell Me." Hearing that song almost caused me to flunk out of school last semester. Laughing

Share what you know, or point me in the right direction. I know they're a slew of B Bender instructional DVDs out there, but I haven't seen anything that teachers Clarence's style.

Thanks
Chris Parris
Don Miller

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a good place to start would be to learn the break on "Deportee", off the Easy Rider LP.There is accurate tab for it buried somewhere in this site...Brian did it...the tune has all the benderisms...arrpegiated chords. single note lines, chimed harmonics, and its done slowly and directly...no before-after the beat stuff...no off kilter harmonies that might take a bit to get your ear around...no tricky hybrid picking...but a good clear intro to the fundementals...nail this stuff and you can move into the more complex stuff... Bob Warfords break on Willin' would be a good lesson #2

The warmup recrding...which is included in part on the recent Sierra CD is also a gold mine of tricks, licks and techniques...

Use a metronome, click track, or solid rhythm...timing is extremely critical and the difference between a cool lick and a mess is milliseconds...
dluxrvrb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Don, I just got the easy rider the other day. I'll check that out. I also have the Sierra White Lightning CD and had forgot about the little snippets of stripped down playing at the end of some of the tracks. When the semester is over at school I'm gonna dig in on this thing and see what I can learn before student teaching starts in January.
Chris
jimmydeluxe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Time Between Reply with quote

Although Clarence used behind the nut bends rather than bender here, I found that learning "Time Between" (from Brians tab!) was a pretty good start. Quite a few of the licks he uses you'll here again in other songs and eventually, after lots and lots of practice they've found their way into my playing (a bit). Especially the opening gambit on the B. From there, the version of "Time Between" on the Byrds Live At The Fillmore 1969, Clarence plays it quite a bit differently and it's full of mind blowing bender! That's how I started and it helped me understand his playing a lot more - well, I say understand, I still don't understand at all! I tiny insight into it anyway...
dluxrvrb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I never noticed the tab section here because it is under books, I finally read the fine print (lol!) I was wondering where all these tabs were. I'll be spending some time over there in the coming weeks. I also have a grounding issue to work out as well, but that's another topic (picture head in hands shaking) I've named this guitar "TROUBLE!" because that is all it has caused since I started building it! (HAHA!) Its all good and I appreciate everyone's input.
Thanks
Chris Parris
Murr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Share what you know, or point me in the right direction. I know they're a slew of B Bender instructional DVDs out there, but I haven't seen anything that teachers Clarence's style.

What worked for me was studying the right hand work on his pre-bender recordings ...Gene's Clark's "Tried So Hard" comes to mind.
Garth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to begin? Reply with quote

dluxrvrb wrote:
Now that I have my Clarence Copy-catster completed (well enough to play anyway, there are still a few things I want to do to it, but anyhow...) I need to know where is a good place to start learning his style. Whats the first Clarence song you all learned when you got your b bender? I listened through a slew of 'em and WOW! I have been listening to Clarence since Marty Stuart turned me on to him a few years back and thought "I could play that if I had a bender." My mistake! Although it is my first night with the guitar, I don't think I'll be mastering it any time soon. I really like his sound on the Gosdin Brothers "Tell Me." Hearing that song almost caused me to flunk out of school last semester. Laughing

Thanks
Chris Parris

Years ago, I installed a Hip Shot B bender on my tele. At the same time, purchased a book and tape entitled "Supercharged Guitar" by Charles Crews from Hip Shot that covers the basics of b-bending. I don't know if Crew's book and tape are still available, but it was an excellent source for learning a number of bender licks.

Garth
chriscallans

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: where to learn the b bender style of clarence Reply with quote

bob warford and clarence had simaliar styles.
in my opinion, bob had a little more smoke.
he is on many recordings from 'freddy weller', 'rondstandt' (willin), and many others that you would have to ask him on this forum or search it out, but if i got it right, they were both banjo players, and the fingerpicking style for their bender stuff is what made it happen for them. the future brought the eagles first album stuff, and bernie leadon took it from the desparado album. I have seen bob in his later playing days, and he kicks butt! a true class act. just as clarence was.
what ever you can learn from bob, will be in a simaliar style to clarence.
if i remember correctly, they had benders a month apart of production. and long before anyone had one. they were unique in their time. later someone named boomer castleman showed up with 6 palm pedals, that he could work great. there was another guy at the aces club in industry when we use to do after hours there, i think his name was 'gerald ray'...if i have that right..ha.
he had 2 palm pedals, on a gretch i think, and ripped it pretty well too.
i love this forum.
i can remember destroying a 52 tele, in mint condition, trying to make up my own bender configuration, before gene would let you see what was inside. the configuration was a complete flop.
i was going to commit myself, but i was booked.
anyway, check out bobs recordings, and they will lead you to a very simaliar style to clarence.
good luck.
chris callans.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: