Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Closest Clarence D-18?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
freddairy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Standard series D-18 is also a Sitka top... D-18V is like a D-18GE except for the D-18V's sitka top...GE has Adirondack as you know...the bracing pattern is the same on the GE and V...neck slightly narrower on the V but they have the same profile....

I've always assumed the D-18V and GE are actually pretty similar guitars with the main differance being the tops and nutwidths. I guess my original question should have been does the sitka top make a big enough difference to make that D-18 sound more like a 50s D-18?

Dogbear,
You make some great points. I've always held the early 50s Telecasters in high regard because they were built more so by humans than the ones that are being made today by CNC machines. I was born in the early 80s. So a guitar from the 50s might as well be from another planet to me, which I think adds even more mojo to the concept of a vintage guitar in my case.

Your points about the sound recording are absolutely true, but to a point. I can hear a recording of James Burton from the late 50s and still identify what type of guitar he is using. I could probably walk into a Guitar Center and play through whatever they have and as soon as I get to the Telecasters make a decent copy of the tone heard on that 50s recording. Atleast to the point of making that modern Tele sound closer than say a modern Les Paul or Stratocaster.

Clarence's mid-50s D-18 was not that old of a guitar for some of those early to mid 60s recordings. I agree sometimes this is like chasing your tail. But that is half the fun of being a member on a guitar related forum!

I'm just a man, who is happy with he pre-war spec Martin reissue, that is now looking for a 2nd guitar. A 50s reissue would be a sweet addition to the Martin lineup. That would cure my Andy Griffth/Clarence White obsession.
Dogbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freddairy, I hear you..... Make no doubt that I am truly obsessed with the rest. The only difference is I like pre war spec guitars.....
Murr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't imagine wanting another besides the GE ..awesome instruments, essentially same as CW.
Muttcaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freddairy wrote:
... does the sitka top make a big enough difference to make that D-18 sound more like a 50s D-18?

The scalloped bracing on the V gives it a looser sound than any 50's or 60's D-18 I've heard.
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the D-18AG (andy Griffith) which I own which was supposedly a trubute to Andy's 56 D-18... is not like a 50's D-18. It has Sitka top (although heavily bear clawed) and closed back tuners, brazillian rosewood fingerboard, bridgeplate like 50's. But the bracing is like a pre-war and the neck is a modern narrow low-profile, and the back is burly mahogany. It's like Martin can't make something like a 50's ...they keep avoiding it even when paying tribute to a 50's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Flatpickin' All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: