Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreadnaught guitar preferences
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve-o

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Bourgeois is a beatuy!......(excellent copy of a Martin)
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-o wrote:

I played several of these and everyone sounded fantastic and just a little different from one another. The action is more to my liking as well...compared to vintage Martin...

The basic cosmetics and materials look like a Martin copy but there are differences in neck profile and some of the detailed materials and the way it's built. You can tell that these are hand-crafted beatiful workmanship....and half the price of a D-18 Authentic...
Mur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat stuff Dogbear ...I enjoyed the clips.
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More about Wayne Henderson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36udapkeICI&NR=1
meatandpotatas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mur wrote:
Cool guitar meatandpotatas ..am I seeing rosewood on the side? .. streaks look rosewood. Anyway, sure has a Clarency vibe.

Thankya, it is a mahogany D-18 though. Those old rosewood D-21's are cool too, but one listen to "Livin' In The Past" makes me happy with what I got.

I have to say Martin is certainly capable of making a great guitar ready-to-go from the factory. They just make so many of them that there's seemingly less consistency, so you really have to play a bunch, or get lucky. Recently, I sat down at a local shop with a new D-18GE that sounded OKAY, nothin' special. Walked over to the used wall and played a D-18GE that sounded about as good as any newish guitar I've played. And FWIW, I have played a couple brand new ones that were that good too.

I'd also add that I haven't been blown away by a Bourgeois yet, and have played Collings, Santa Cruz, and Huss & Dalton's that have left me cold. Not that any of these were bad guitars. You just want to be a little more impressed when you're playing $2-5K of pieced together wood and glue.

And in my limited experience, that D-18A isn't just hype. They can be as good as the price might suggest, and would make me reconsider a ++$10K vintage model for sure. Even so, I have played one that was just okay.
Mur

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "Livin In The past" Clarence switches to the D18 before "Barefoot Nelly" and plays the rest of the set with it.
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my Martin...can you guess what model and year?

more pix here -->http://www.bbenderguitars.com/images/gallery/Martin/index.html

Mur

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the D18 Authentic you bought today right?
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mur wrote:
Its the D18 Authentic you bought today right?

umm..not quite...but I did play a D-18 Authentic at lunchtime today for aout 1/2 hr! any other guesses?
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
And if all these new guitars will 'open-up' will the others continue to improve and continue to sound better than the high end Martins?

Interesting quote from the MJ Franks Guitars website about 'opening-up'
Will my guitar “open up” after I play it for a while?
“Opening up” is a term which describes a gradual improvement in the tonal qualities of a stringed instrument in the weeks, months and years following its construction. Although I have yet to hear a plausible scientific explanation of this phenomenon, let me assure you that I have indeed experienced it. Few people knowledgeable in acoustic stringed instruments would disagree that they can and do improve with age (this is one reason why vintage instruments are highly sought after by musicians). Most of the improvement that I have witnessed in my instruments has occurred during the first 6 months. I believe the improvement can be partially attributed to the full curing of the glue and finish as well as the relaxing of the bent wood components. Interestingly, many knowledgeable players and luthiers are convinced that actual playing of a guitar will in itself improve the tonal qualities. The more that you play, the better it gets
Harry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Not exactly - should you check out the specs of the Bourgeois vs a similar Martin, you will find quite a few differences - one of the major ones being the bracing. Dana Bourgeois does not scallop his braces the same way that CF Martin does theirs. Also, most Bourgeois' have Waverly tuners, most Martins do not. Granted, both Martin and Bourgeois build fine guitars; but a copy - nope. Bourgeois builds about eight guitars a week, and Dana Bourgeois has a personal investment in every guitar. CF Martin builds many more guitars than eight in a day, and Chris Martin's personal investment is in running the company, not building a guitar. There is a place for both, and no need to copy.
Paul Honeycutt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a '72 D-18 that sounded wonderful but had the worst neck. Those were kind of the dark years for Martin. If I'd been a little brighter, I'd have gotten someone to build a new neck for it or at least a reset.

These days I play small bodied Taylor's, a 512 and an 812-C. My Taylor 12 string is a rosewood dreadnaught with a three piece back. Both the 512 and 12 string were made at the original Taylor shop.

I'm still looking for another "inspired by" D-18 type guitar. I'm not a bluegrass player, but if it'll ring in drop D or DADGAD, it usually will work for anything else I throw at it.
freddairy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference is a hog body and sides with an adi top with a 1 and 3/4s nut width all under $1800 bucks. The used Martin D-18 GE fits that bill nicely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Flatpickin' All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: