Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are my old 66 Jensen Gold Labels shot?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
philgerard

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
As you well know, you're in the collectble value / players amp territory now.
I have a 1965 Vibrolux Reverb that pretty minty. I have gigged it - last time in the pouring rain. It has Oxfords not Jensens but like yours I think they are showing their age.
For collector value I would likely not recone them but take them out, box em and put a pair of Eminence Legend 1058 10s or some Webers, etc.
If it's a player amp, then I'd recone them and never look back.
I tend to be a player first but the value of some of these amps and guitars makes me rethink what would be my initial approach.
My .02

Phil
Brian

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob and Phil...thanks for the replies...

If I get them reconed I will take them to Orange County speaker...Mur mentioned them as well in email..

As for whether it's a player amp or not. It is definitely not a museum piece as the tolex has plenty of gig scars and aging...complete with multiple ciggy burn marks along the back edge. It is otherwise original except for cap job and three prong cord replacement. The Jensen C10N speakers are original equipment though...
philgerard

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
Just happened to see this VR on Gear Page with discussion on Replacement Speakers.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=544059

Relevant and interesting and a good price too!

Phil
Silverface

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OC Speaker is OK, but they don't remag vintage speakers and are far more expensive than Weber. I'll stick to my guns on Weber for recones - ALL they do are instrument amp speakers (OC Speaker does amps, stereo equipment, car radios...); Ted is "tuned" to the needs of the musician.

He'll also (for a low price) not only recone but recone with a different impedance. Have a set of 16-ohm Greenbacks you'd like to stick in a Pro Reverb? He'll recone them and use 8-ohm coils.

Most of the expensive shops have three main disadvantages - 1) price, which they base on the audiophile market, 2) components - they normally use generic cones and voice coils and NOT vintage-type replacements,and 3) they almost always dope the hell out of the surround, making the speaker incredibly stiff and "constipated".

I've had a few OC speaker recones (because they're local) and they came back looking like so-called reissue Jensens = just shiny and stiff with dope. I had to resort to the same technique I use on those Jensens (which I strongly recommend NEVER buying, ever - the speakers are not reissues - just Italian versions of speakers with the same name. They bought a *logo*) - brush nail polish remover (acetone) on the doped area, play the amp at high volume for 15 minutes, do it again; then wait a couple days and do the same thing. It takes at least 4-5 times before the speaker opens up.

Brian, one comment you made has me puzzled - you said something about crackling and popping. That does not sound like a speaker issue at all - it sounds like arcing. I'd start by retensioning every tube socket, and doing the infamous "chopstick test" - play the amp with the chassis open and tap on every single part (especially pots!) and solder joint.

This is one of the most valuable websites - many pro techs use this as a "procedure" when chasing an intermittent problem:

http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/ampdebug.htm
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: