Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amps for home
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies ... I had my 66 Vibrolux Reverb out for a gig this weekend...It sounded great but it developed a weird fuzz/distorted sound ...quite noticeable at low volume and it seems like it's hurting for power... Need to get it on the bench as see whats up... hope it's not the old speakers..
Silverface

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For home use I have 4 main amps I use (although there are about a dozen more I pull out from time to time, plus larger gig amps):

1. '64 Champ - Tweed box and electronics with blck tolex covering. Last of the tweed circuits.
2. '57 Princeton. Tweed Champ in a tweed Deluxe-sized box with a tone control. One of those "desert island" amps.
3. ZVex Nano. A 1/2 watt TUBE head (the size of an MXR stompox) into a 12" Greenback. Sounds like a Marshall stack at conversational volume.
4. Fender Gdec. Best practice tool Ive ever found, and the drummer always is on time!

Wink
STEELEFT1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a little Magnatone student model at a salvage store yesterday ($12). I think it is 5 or 6 watts, only a swirch/volume control. Still has the original Jensen speaker in it.
Needs a little work, but I think it will make a good bedroom amp, along with the Mountain amp that operates on a 9V battery.
Lefty
Silverface

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Maggie Student for $12????

I HATE you! Razz

Magnatones are tremendous - I have one of the Student models as well, which is much like a Champ with a little less gain - and I had a tweed one with a little more juice that I swapped to Mur...wish I had that sucker back - it was like a brown Princeton with MORE gain!

The weird-looking "M" models that look like a big plastic suitcase (ie the M10) are excellent amps - more like tweed Fenders than BF/SF amps, they have a gustsy midrange and lower-gain, fat and juicy sound. Prices have risen quite a bit but they are still available at "player" prices.

Bu that Student for $12 was an absolute steal - THOSE I've seen go for $3-400. BTW, if it's one of the ones that uses octal preamp tubes (most are) and you need tubes, let me know - I have a huge stash of metal-cover octals, and may have the type your amp uses.
STEELEFT1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Magnatone has the original Jensen, but the cone is rotten. I am wondering if it is better to have it re-coned, or to buy a Weber for it.
Sorry for the late response but I just saw the reply. Thanks for the offer of the octal tube. I bought a NOS GE on ebay.
Lefty
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my Suhr Badger 18. It has power scaling that lets you bring it down from 18 watts to something ridiculous like 1/4 watt (and anything in-between). The power scaling works better than ANY master volume amp I've ever used. At 5 watts it still has all the authority and girth that it has at 18...the only difference is that you're not really getting the speakers working at that low volume.

Best 15-25 watt amp I've ever played.
Raybob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite amp has been my 68 Deluxe Reverb for some time. I've recently ordered kits from Weber to make new Deluxe Reverbs with the AB763 schematic. These have plywood finger-jointed cabinets and Weber Signature series alnico speakers.

By the time I built my third one, I realized I had to substitute the junk chinese tubes and the pots and jacks. I'm using switchcraft jacks, alpha & CTS pots, JJ tubes. These are just like the old Deluxe of the 60s except there's added bright switch and a Cesar Diaz mod to cut the tremolo out of the circuit to get an added gain. I've also begun to add an extra bias pot so each power tube can be adjusted individually so you don't need to buy matched sets of power tubes. I'm also adding Fender tilt-back legs just because I love them on my 68 Deluxe - sound really fills the room when tilted back. I just got a web page going at www.tube-tone.com and will be advertising them on eBay. I'll be asking 1299 + shipping but you can get a bender's discount. Smile

Raybob
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: