Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video Slow Downer???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Video Slow Downer??? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of some software that can slow down the video AND audio of a DVD in the same way and flexibility as the Amazing Slow Downer does for audio? Including the abilty to loop on arbitrary start-stop points?

I'd love to slow down sections of Guitar Workshop to see exactly what Clarence is doing. I can rip the audio and slow that down but there's some sections that defy the audio-only technique. Some sections of Soldiers Joy sound like slides and but visually they are not... Other sections are clearly slides visually and aurally...but those other sections really need a video slow downer to know exactly whats going on.
jimmydeluxe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most recent version of quicktime has 1/2 speed option if you open the a/v control panel. It retains the pitch also.. It seems to work pretty effectively. If you've ripped the dvd you could try that!?
jimmydeluxe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. realised you said you'd only ripped the audio. You can use Mac The Ripper or something similar if on PC (should be a free download somewhere) to rip the whole dvd on to your computer, that'll probably give you a VOB file which you can then convert to a quicktime movie using another bit of free software you should be able to download. If you google 'convert VOB to quicktime" loads of freeware links come up.
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimmy...I know how to get the audio...what I want is video AND the audio in sync and slowed down on selectable loops. I emailed Roni Music (maker of Amazing SLow Downer) and they said they are working on it...
jimmydeluxe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will do audio and video! It works I've tried it...

See this
http://www.seanray.com/2006/adjusting-speed-pitch-with-quicktime/
meatandpotatas

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to exploring this, and found that the latest version of Transcribe! (v7.5) can handle .mov/.mp4 video files. If you don't have Transcribe already, I believe it's $50 for the full version. Seems a little more complicated than ASD, but it's still pretty foolproof for the basic features, and offers a soundwave visualizer that makes it easy to pinpoint areas of the track. If you already have version 7 or above, you can download 7.5 for free and it automatically updates itself.

Anyway, once I did that, I found some freeware that rips DVD's into .mp4 format. I used Guitar Workshop to test it (obviously), and sure enough, once I had the .mp4 on my desktop, I could open it with Transcribe and go to work.

The video window opens separately from the audio window, but they remain synchronized, and everything else is the same as it was for audio-only.

James
Brian

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James... I'm a big fan of the Amazing Slow Downer and Rolf...who writes the software, is working on a DVD slow downer. If you go to www.ronimusic.com or contact Rolf...he'll send you a link to a free beta test copy...
meatandpotatas

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, glad to see they keep improving this stuff. I did try ASD before I got Transcribe and ended up liking Transcribe better, but they both get the job done. Good to have options.

Do you know if anyone is working on a slow-down software for mp3 players? I would LOVE to get Transcribe or ASD on my Ipod...
Murr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, I can show you any fingering on Workshop ..we live close, may as well take advantage. Btw, what lick is giving you trouble?
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mur...The lick that I find REALLY hard...(at least when played at speeds approaching CW's speed) is this one that he uses in Soldiers Joy. In the beginning of this clip I play lick slow, and then I play it within the context of the section that precedes it. On other recordings that CW did of this...he sometimes played it alot simpler...but it seems that during this time period he played it like this. He played it that way on other live recordings from that time like Live in Sweden as well.

http://www.clarencewhiteforum.com/mp3/soldiersjoy.mp3

Brian

PS it would be fun to play this togther...I have a mandolin I can play along with too
Murr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, he does that part different on different versions ...I know them, so come by sometime, I'll show you ..its not difficult. Just call.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: