Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home Recording Equipment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Home Recording Equipment Reply with quote

Just wondering what everybody is using at home as far as recording gear?

I typically get my fill of messing with audio at work...so I went with a small bare bones setup for my music room at home. I just picked up a Zoom H4. It's a handheld digital 4 track recorder with built in stereo condensor mics. It also doubles as a usb interface so you can record directly into the audio editing program of your choice (up to 2 tracks simultaneously). I've only had it a few days but I think it's going to work great for what I have in mind (simple demos at home).

Last edited by Matt on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt... I have the Zoom H4 as well...it works great for recording live music. I've done some limited recording of myself solo with it. It really is amazing considering how compact it is. Dogbear on this forum has a a nice home studio setup...He can tell way more about that...
Don Miller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Boss BR1200-12 track recorder. I use it mostly for making practice tracks...ie a couple of tracks of rhythm guitar and then work out my leads over than..I have only scratched the surface on what it will do...its got a manual the size of a small phone book and I stopped at page 9. Its got a bunch of precussion tools and you can compose a bass line...altho that part is on page 165 so Im no where near there yet....also lots of guitar effects...and like anything some a pretty cool, some stink and some can be useful with some tweaking

It will burn audio CDs of the final mix...and can import or export wav files...Ive done a bit of working with the backing tracks that folks make over at the Fender Discussion Page.
Dogbear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have the Zoom H4 as well...it works great for recording live music. I've done some limited recording of myself solo with it. It really is amazing considering how compact it is.

Brian is being modest. I've had the pleasure of working with some of his recorded work and his playing and recordings are very good. If I could only play as well............

I got into home recording about four years ago when I was able to purchase a Digi 001 and a MOTU 2408 at a very reasonable price from a studio that was upgrading. The reason I was successful with the Digi 001 was that I built a computer for the interface, instead of buying the interface for the computer. I was also lucky in that I had friends who had professional and semi-professional studios who were willing to help me learn the Pro Tools ropes. After working with tons of plug-ins and a vst to rtas converter, I've finally settle on a handful of plug-ins that I actually use. A good compressor, reverb and a couple of EQs are really all you need. The newer interfaces like you have that I have worked with are great and are much more computer compatible than just a few years ago. I posted this picture on TPDRI, but will repost it for those that haven't seen it. I did a little at a time, to stay within a reasonable budget. I have considered upgrading to a Digi 002 or 003, but so far this does everything I need it to do. My studio is in a 17 X 27 room that I have managed to fill up with guitars and amps and stuff. My wife is kind enough to tolerate my excesses......

Dogbear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mur, I have been told that you have an awesome collection of functional high end analog recording equipment. Would love to see some pictures or have some discussion about it.
Savalas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked neat setup Dogbear! your wife is much more understanding than mine! (or else you have a much bigger house) Laughing
Dogbear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Savalas, my house is a strange house for Florida, in that it is set up like a New England style two story house. I can't live on the first floor because it is non conformal due to the flood area I live in (next to a major river). It has never flooded in 25 years, but; it is what it is. The downstairs main room used to be a big party room with a DJ set up, but we don't do big parties much anymore, so it ended up a music room/studio. My wife eyed it as an exercise room at one time, however; I made other arrangements for her. Very Happy What can I say, it keeps me off the street.

Silverface

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mur's secret cavern of electronic mad-scientist gear is jaw-dropping. There's *so* much classic vintage gear you can't tell whether he's having you cut a track or if he's mixing magic potions...

Seriously - his stuff is SO good and SO sensitive we were cutting a bass track one day and could NOT figure out why we heard the wind blowing while I was playing his Kay upright; it turned out the equipment was picking up my *pants* moving about 1/8" against the back of the thing.

I've been in some high-end joints before but nothing matches the sound of good analog equipment, and he's got it.
Murr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mur, I have been told that you have an awesome collection of functional high end analog recording equipment. Would love to see some pictures or have some discussion about it.

Just a few ancient things ..tape recorder and funky mics. The mic Silverface mentioned is newish though.

Silverface

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murr's being modest...there's a symbiotic relationship between all the components in the signal chain. The mic is critical - but if your other equipment isn't sensitive enough you won't pick up things like that. His stuff IS that sensitive - the other, more intangible part being he know what to do with it!
Dogbear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The mic is critical - but if your other equipment isn't sensitive enough you won't pick up things like that.

I agree about the mic, but have found that a quality tube pre-amp is far more important than an very expensive mic. The old tube pre-amps are like gold, warm and forgiving. Unless you are willing to send $2000 or better, it's hard to find something comparable these days. Cheap digital pre-amps are a dime a dozen and with so many on the market, many will never get to experience the old style quality. It's funny to see an advertisement for a digital device that "sounds just like a tube".

Quote:
..tape recorder and funky mics.

BTW, LOL
Dogbear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Mur, I would still like to see some quality pics.
Murr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quality ..artistic even. Have another look. Very Happy

'
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: