Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fender Silverface vs. Victoria Tweed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
meatandpotatas

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Fender Silverface vs. Victoria Tweed Reply with quote

Howdy folks,
I've got a '73 Deluxe Reverb right now, but am looking to step into something a little bigger. Got a few questions...

Tweed tone vs. BF/SF tone - what are the general differences? Why so little Tweed talk on the CWF when they seem to be all the rage elsewhere? More of a blues/rock amp?

Speaker configurations: 2x10 vs. 2x12 - again, the general differences? I read great things here about both the Vibrolux and the Pro, but having never played them side-by-side, I'm not really sure how they compare.

Hoping for some objective analysis on those questions, but I'd like some opinions too. What does everybody prefer? Tweed vs. Silverface? 2x10 vs. 2x12? Why?

FWIW, some of my favorite Tele tones are Burton (w/Hag), NW-era Clarence, Jimmy Bryant, Roy Nichols (w/Hag live)...I also like the sound Redd Volkaert gets on his live DVD with a repro Tweed Twin. Clarence on "Tulsa County" is another favorite...

Advice and opinions much appreciated - Thanks.

James
getbent

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fender tweeds are awesome but they don't have the headroom that the blackface amps do.

going bigger than a bf or sf deluxe usually means like going to a sf twin or a pro.... something along those lines.

The Clarence thing I think is more vibrolux which has a reputation of some great breakup. bf or sf Super Reverb would be a great choice for bigger than deluxe, some good breakup and great clean with reverb and tremelo.

I've become a huge fan of old Music Man amps which have a ton of headroom and while different than classic fender... were Leo's later children which his goal was always less distortion and more headroom.

I tend toward cleaner sounds and use a cool box brianf made me and a sparkle drive for my 'dirt'...

the 'perfect' amps besides deluxes for me are: sf vibrolux, sf twin, sf or bf super reverb, music man 112rp, musicman 4X10...

there are so many great amps... I don't tend toward the tweeds because I like having reverb and trem (or with the musicmans.. the funky phasor) all in one combo...

The 5e3 Tweed deluxe is classic though! Think Neil Young, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and thousands of others...

Currently, I play a tone king imperial and a musicman 112rp. I own some other amps but those two bring me the most joy and sound good no matter where you spin the dial. Good luck on your hunt... you have probably the coolest amp (my opinion) already, so look with confidence but realize you are already there!
meatandpotatas

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I tried a couple tweed's, and talked to some people that have more experience than I do. Came to the conclusion that they probably just aren't for me, at least as a primary amp. But they sure look cool!

I ended up finding a '74 Vibrolux that should be a great one when it gets out of the shop. Was planning to sell the '73 DR to make room, but some "helpful" advice in another thread has got me back on the right track.Cool I intend to keep both.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: