Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fender re-issuing the 57 Tweed Deluxe!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Fender re-issuing the 57 Tweed Deluxe! Reply with quote

Just saw this on the TDPRI!
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/65445-fender-57-tweed-deluxe-reissue.html

Fender Recreates Legendary ’57 Deluxe™ Amp
-- A Premium, Hand-Wired Recreation of One of the World’s Most Timeless and Collectible Tube Guitar Amps --

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (January 18, 2007)—Fender amp-heads, rejoice! In a nod to countless requests from fans worldwide, Fender will begin producing authentic, hand-wired recreations of the amazing ’57 Deluxe™ guitar amp. This highly-collectible, 12-watt, all-tube amplifier with 12” speaker will be hand-built, one by one, at the Fender factory in Corona, Calif.

For the uninitiated, the original Fender Deluxe™ amps of the 1950s were medium-powered units designed to let guitarists “hold their own” in a small group. As blues, western, and rockabilly bands began getting louder and wilder, the overdriven tone of a cranked-up Deluxe found its way onto countless live and recorded performances. Over the past five decades, players of every conceivable style have employed ’50s-era Deluxe amps for their unmistakable warm, rich tube tone.

“We are really proud to be giving discerning guitarists and tube amp enthusiasts what they’ve been asking for,” noted Fender’s Marketing Manager of Amplifiers, Shane Nicholas. “This is such a soulful, timeless amp, so we took great pains to nail the perfect sound and vibe.”

Like the original models, the ’57 Deluxe recreation will feature a hand-wired, all-tube late 1950s 5E3 circuit design, 12” Alnico-magnet Jensen® P-12Q speaker, a 5Y3GT rectifier tube (to provide natural “sag”) and a finger-joined solid pine cabinet to resonate with a warm, woody tone. And cosmetically, this lacquered tweed amp is virtually undistinguishable from the original, save for a “standby” switch in place of the 1950s-issue “polarity” switch.

But the ’57 Deluxe is really all about its tone—packing tons of harmonically rich clean sounds at lower volumes, and a fat, compressed, wildly distorted sound that’s completely inspiring (and easy to record) when you turn it up.

“Set the knobs half-way up, and it provides gorgeous clean or overdriven tones depending on picking dynamics,” confirmed Nicholas. “But when this amp is cranked, it distorts like a sweating, snorting pig.”

The ’57 Deluxe will be available beginning in February 2007.

PeeWee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time! I'd been bending the local Fender reps ear from many a moon about one of these. I managed to get a '59 about 4 years ago in trade straight up for a Dot marker ES-335 reissue or the equal of $1300. Definitely a steal on my part. It's hard to beat a tweed Deluxe....it'd be nice to have a spare so I wouldn't have to keep hauling mine out Very Happy

Wonder why they decided to use '57 as the designation? Most consider the 1959 5E3 as the one to own. I'd have to think from a marketing standpoint they would have gone in that direction, like they did with the '59 Bassman RI and the '57 Twin Amp. Granted it's the same circuit, but why not appeal to public perception?
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know a 5E3 is a 5E3...ie all the narrow panel 5E3's were there same...so I doubt it made a difference whether it's a 57 vs 59 etc...except that it's 2 years newer. Anyway regardles of that....what you'll get with this unit is a 5E3 clone made from 2007 parts by Fender in Corona, Ca....for roughly $1800 street price. It has the Fender name and lineage but I wonder if it will sound as good as the originals.

The other interesting thing is.. I wonder if the originals sounded good new...or only attained some of there vibe with age?

I'd be surpised if it sounded any different from the many 5E3 clones and kits that are out there. The only thing they could possibly improve on I would think is a more accurate sounding speaker. Mercury Magnetics alreadly makes clones of the trannies for purchase...and everything less makes much less difference.
PeeWee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you in regards to the trannies and the speaker. I replaced the Dagnall reissue trannies in my baby Bluesbreaker with Mercury stuff per Paul Petronette's suggestions. Paul says that they don't really start to sound good until they've @ 1000 hours on them, but the amp sounds great now.... can only imagine how much better it can sound after break-in.

The new "Jensens" I'm not too impressed with, especially when compared to the models they were based upon. My tweed had a Jensen/Recoton P12R in it when it got it, but I soon swapped it out for a reconed '50s Jensen P12N that I bought for $75. For my money, Ted Weber is making the best Jensen-type replacement speaker out there today. If the new tweed Deluxe sounds anywhere near as good as the Victoria 20112, it could be something that all guitar players should look into. Just my $.02 YMMV.
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Fender worked with 'Jensen' to come up with a better (more authentic) speaker design for this project. Normally I like a Weber speaker but the one I had in my 5E3 clone (a 12A125) was really awful sounding. Sounded nothing like a vintage Jensen. Real harsh sounding. I've since replaced it with a ceramic Eminence Cannabis Rex...admittedly not vintage accurate but sounds fantastic in the 5E3.
PeeWee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...wonder if you just a bad one. That's the first I've heard regarding one of his Vintage speakers.

As for the Cannibus Rex, I've heard some really good things about those speakers, same with the Tone Tubbys. Same concept and similar design. It seems the hemp has similar properties to the original paper used back in the day. That's big problem with the Recoton reissues - the material is too thick and doesn't react the same way as the old thinner paper.

I think I'm gonna keep my eyes open for one of these new tweedys. I'm very curious about them after this post.
telemetric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good way to find old Jensen or Oxford speakers is to check out Craigslist ads for old tube organs. In the Seattle area, many are free or costing around 50 bucks. When I had a van, I used to gut these often unworking Grandmother organs and get good old alnico Jensens out ot them. Also, old phonos are great for this job. Most of the time, of course, you are going to have to recone the speakers.
I see 2 or 3 of these ads daily.
You can get good working tubes as well as transformers.
Include as part of your budget the happy trip to the dump where the old carcass ends up. In Seattle you get the added bonus of watching the bulldozer smash the cabinet to pieces!
Silverface

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jensen in that amp is reportedly a stock Jensen, or it'd have a different part number...and it's from the new Jensen company (which is Jensen in name only). A nice visual throwback, but IMO a horrid audio error. It's not even close in specs, and the sound is pathetically bad until it's broken in for months...and de-doped to boot.

They went for the look but not the sound. Not a good call IMO.

Brian, if you had a bad sounding Weber did you call Ted? He'll take care of situations like that on the spot, normally. That's usually an ideal Deluxe speaker, but everyone makes a dud now and then.

Correct on the 5E3 being consistent year-to-year. The 5D3's vary - mine is a '55 with a 12AX7 up front; some have metal-case preamp tubes.
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverface wrote:

Brian, if you had a bad sounding Weber did you call Ted? He'll take care of situations like that on the spot, normally. That's usually an ideal Deluxe speaker, but everyone makes a dud now and then.

Hi Jim...
I've heard that Ted is real responsive, but I didn't think of calling...

I just found someone that was looking for a speaker like that so I unloaded it...

It probably was fine but didn't suit my tastes... As I recall it sounded trebly and kind of splatty sounding...not smooth. The Eminence Cannabis Rex is a completely different story... I have sound clips of it somewhere.
cya tomorrow...!

Brian
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: