Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Earth Sound Research amp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Earth Sound Research amp Reply with quote

I just bought an Earth Revival amp made in the 70's in Farmingdale, NY.

It appears to be a copy of an old Fender tweed, with a real nice tube sound.

Just wondering if any of you have ever heard of these and have any tips regarding them.

Art Very Happy
Doc62049

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Earth Sound Research Reply with quote

I have heard of them and know something of the lore about the Earth company. Supposedly, they copied without permission the more popular circuits of the time, including the Fender Bassman. Lawsuits followed and they went out of business. A number of their amps resemble Peavy in cosmetic details, though some have tweed and are hybrid amps. The tube type Earth heads are Bassman circuits, however. Most sound pretty good, as they were copies of successful units from other companies.
Art

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the info. I have heard a lot of the same. The amp I have is a 50w tweed with a 15 in. speaker, so it also works great with my old Supro lap steel and electric fiddle.
Also, it is a hybrid with a solid state pre-amp.

Again, I appreciate the input.
Art Very Happy
Silverface

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hybrids were not highly prized, but can be good clean-tone amps. For grind they can be pretty gnarly sounding though. Also those models had a rep for overheating. But if you keep it well-ventilated and don't try cranking it up for distorted tones, it can be a decent amp.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: